Episode 79 – To Err is Human

This week on the podcast…

00:00:00 – The show starts this week with a hardy helping of pterosaur ptime when the Paleopals sit down to discuss past errors with David Hone and Ross Eglin. Be sure to scope out all the other projects they’re involved in at: pterosaur.net, Archosaur Musings and Ask A Biologist.

00:37:29 – In which potent potables are consumed.

00:42:50 – It’s a trip down found footage lane when the Paleopals set their sights skyward with a mission for fear in the new trailer for Apollo 18.

00:59:46 – Ben Goldacre, author of the book Bad Science, had some things to say on his secondary blog about the idea that science journalists should have science degrees. The Paleopals discuss with a bit of added insight from friend of the show Marissa!

01:14:28 – PaleoPOWs are like trivia, plural and interesting. This week Patrick delights that he has some actual snail mail, Charlie laments the state of our iTunes rating while praising Laura W. for saying something nice and Ryan has a rocking e-mail from Cori L.

Thanks for listening, if you need even more of the Paleopals in your life head over to the Paleocave Blog!

Music from this week’s show:

Wrong Thing Right Then – Mighty Mighty Bosstones

Do Wrong Right – The Devil Makes Three

Moons and Horror Shoes – The Zutons

Hard to Explain – The Strokes

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to Episode 79 – To Err is Human

1. Dave Hone 29 March 2011 at 3:47 pm #

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks again for having me and Ross on the show. It was great fun.

Cheers

Dave

2. David Peters 30 March 2011 at 5:35 am #

With regard to Elgin and Hone, their paper on pterosaur wings was full of misinformation and wishful thinking best explained and illustrated here:
    and here:
    and elsewhere within the site.

Yes, there are dissenting facts.

3. Dave Hone 30 March 2011 at 11:12 am #

Oh dear, must we put up with this everywhere we go? If you have a contrary position, feel free to publish a paper in the literature. Feel free not to follow me around the web leaving comments like this everywhere I go…..

4. mike from sunnyvale, ca 30 March 2011 at 10:51 pm #

For Apollo 18 there is a bog plot hole… launching a Saturn V was always a big event, so how could the government have “covered up” the launch of an 18th mission if they only knew like 4 days into the mission that something was going wrong. Windmills do not work that way!

5. infinite monkey 6 April 2011 at 8:35 am #

Arcachnophobia has a leg up on you guy’s scary movies, it totally scares the crap out of me, but Jaws kick your movies in the teeth. It’s so scary for me that I won’t go into the ocean, nor will I watch the derivitaves of it.

6. Bonerpill 26 November 2012 at 4:34 am #

Is it me or is there no direct download link here?

7. Ryan 28 November 2012 at 12:11 pm #

The links seem to have been messed up. We’re working on getting them restored.

8. Bonerpill 3 December 2012 at 6:56 pm #

Hilariously, as I was working my way through the archives the first screwed up link was for To Err is Human.

I got my downloads from Blubrry because I am resourceful like that, but I see the links are back up. Great show, I appreciate what you guys are doing a whole bunch of a lot.

Since I enjoyed Titanium Physicists so much, I gave SSO a shot and I’m glad I did. I burned through all of Ti-Phy only after consuming every episode of Weekly Weinersmith, which I found through SMBC. You guys owe at least some listenership to these people. There is a pyramid of owed beers here, but since Ben doesn’t drink he gets a foot rub instead.

The PaleoPal hotline is saved on my phone with the brachiolope as the contact picture so I can see it through my beer goggles. Expect a drunk dial if I ever have a science question I can’t figure out on my own.

Or just whenever.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Outreach roundup « Dave Hone's Archosaur Musings - 1 February 2013

[...] Science, sort of on pterosaurs [...]

2. Episode 168 | Lifestyles of the Cold and Aquatic | Science... sort of - 25 March 2013

[...] from ViTuanPeterPhan, who like any good reviewer, tells us how far along in the back catalog he is (ep 79 as of this posting). Lastly, Patrick has a very generous donation from a Bryan A., whom Patrick is [...]